KALESSIN OF ORWELL IS A 33FT WESTERLY STORM. IN 2006-8 WE SAILED HER DOWN TO PORTUGAL, INTO THE MED, AND HOME THROUGH THE FRENCH CANALS. IN 2011 WE EXPLORED BALTIC GERMANY AND DENMARK. AFTER SAM'S STROKE WE CRUISED GENTLY ON THE EAST COAST, THE NETHERLANDS AND BRITTANY, AND IN 2021 SAILED TO CORNWALL AND BACK. IN 2024, FOLLOWING SAM'S DEATH, CAMILLA IS UNDERTAKING A MEMORIAL ROUND-BRITAIN CRUISE

Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]


This was to be my last sail in Kalessin for a few weeks. On Tuesday I head home by train for five weeks’ work. One of the reasons I chose Rhu was because there is a direct train link from Helensburgh to Edinburgh, which saves messing about at Glasgow. By the magic of split ticketing I got a first class ticket for £70, although it’s only useful on the east coast mainline and I do have to change at York, as well as Edinburgh, Peterborough and Stowmarket. 

Sadly it was not a gorgeous day with a F3-4. It rained again, although there were lovely views between the showers. We passed the paddle steamer Waverley for the third or fourth time, and passed Loch Long which leads to Loch Goil, where my mother and her twin used to row to the shop. 

Loch Goil hidden behind rain 

I love this photo, which must have been taken in the late 1930s. My granny in headscarf and, astonishingly, trousers; Sonia left of the mast, my mother Patricia to the right. 

Rhu is in a lovely spot despite being close to the military might of Faslane. The facilities are more low key than I expected and the chandlery is closed at the weekend but otherwise it has everything we need and the staff are very friendly and welcoming. 

No comments:

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib