KALESSIN OF ORWELL IS A 33FT WESTERLY STORM. IN 2006-8 WE SAILED HER DOWN TO PORTUGAL, INTO THE MED, AND HOME THROUGH THE FRENCH CANALS. IN 2011 WE EXPLORED BALTIC GERMANY AND DENMARK. AFTER SAM'S STROKE WE CRUISED GENTLY ON THE EAST COAST, THE NETHERLANDS AND BRITTANY, AND IN 2021 SAILED TO CORNWALL AND BACK. IN 2024, FOLLOWING SAM'S DEATH, CAMILLA IS UNDERTAKING A MEMORIAL ROUND-BRITAIN CRUISE

Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]


We enjoyed the showers and walked along the beach at Royal Sovereign, but didn't do much else. I was pleased only to be charged for one night, as we'd had around six hours of darkness on the berth in the early hours of Monday too. On Tuesday we joined a few other vessels to lock out at 0900. It was really too early for a fair tide, but the tide isn't that strong until you get up to South Foreland, and we made good progress, motoring in northwesterlies of up to 10kt, with a bit of swell behind us. Having worried so much about lobster pots in this shallow area in the dark in 2021 I was delighted only to be close to one. 


At Dungeness (pictured) as we turned more to the north, the wind was also more on the beam, and finally we could turn off the engine and sail. My plan had been to go to the new marina in Dover, from where Lucilla had to go home by train for a dentist's appointment on Wednesday. I expected to get to Ramsgate on my own on Wednesday, and then hope for the best. Dover to SYH is more than 60 miles and I would have had to leave at 0300 to catch the tide at North Foreland, which I thought would be too much for me. But as we approached Dover at around 1630 we finally picked up speed from the tide. I said to Lucilla "How would you feel about carrying on to Ramsgate?" And bless her, she just said "I'll check the trains." So we turned on the motor and hurtled north at 7 to 8kt. We reached the Ramsgate entrance channel at sunset, but it got dark incredibly quickly! Somehow we picked our way in, and by the time we reached the marina (which didn't respond to VHF calls) it was pretty much dark, although we found a berth on E which I hope is still the visitors' area. Lucilla headed towards the station and I headed to bed, although I didn't sleep too well.


Distance run: 60 miles

No comments:

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib