KALESSIN OF ORWELL IS A 33FT WESTERLY STORM. IN 2006-8 WE SAILED HER DOWN TO PORTUGAL, INTO THE MED, AND HOME THROUGH THE FRENCH CANALS. IN 2011 WE EXPLORED BALTIC GERMANY AND DENMARK. AFTER SAM'S STROKE WE CRUISED GENTLY ON THE EAST COAST, THE NETHERLANDS AND BRITTANY, AND IN 2021 SAILED TO CORNWALL AND BACK. IN 2024, FOLLOWING SAM'S DEATH, CAMILLA IS UNDERTAKING A MEMORIAL ROUND-BRITAIN CRUISE

Full width home advertisement

Post Page Advertisement [Top]


The forecast models differed, but it seemed certain that Friday would bring rain and south-easterly winds of up to 20kt. I wanted to get to Tobermory around midday as that seemed to offer the best chance of finding a berth, and as you are strictly forbidden to pass the Lochaline ferry while it is moving I thought we'd leave after the 0940 ferry departure. And in fact the plan worked just fine as we tootled north up the Sound of Mull with almost no rain, and wind which varied... between 4 and 25 knots. I can see why the forecasters found it difficult. We were heading into the tide, but with most of the jib up (no mainsail, as the wind was almost aft), plus some engine for consistency, we made good speed.

For the last few miles I took over the steering as the autopilot really couldn't cope with the following sea. There are probably already autopilots with AI which can anticipate waves coming up from behind, but our tiller pilot doesn't do anticipation. Almost immediately the experience felt much safer and smoother. We cruised into the flat waters of Tobermory harbour, dodged numerous mooring buoys and tied up in pretty much the exact berth I had hoped for. (And just across from Olivia, my old friend from Whitehills). Then it rained some more. I spent the afternoon working on CA stuff, went out for a G&T at the Tobermory Hotel in the rain, and returned to a delicious chicken curry concocted by Alex from a Spice Tailor mix. Although I did have a slight craving for vegetables. 

Today is Saturday. It's supposed to be a better day and I was planning a run, but so far (0900) it's mainly just raining again. We also have to plan where to go next. I thought for a while that the weather looked settled, but in fact that's only in the Inner Hebrides - anything middle or Outer looks a lot windier. So the Small Isles may not be an option. In addition Rhu Marina, which was my preferred option for leaving the boat in July, has now told me it can only keep Kalessin until the 12 August, which may not be quite long enough for me to finish September's Cruising. So I have contacted Clyde Marina at Ardrossan to see if they are ok with the extended period.

Tomorrow it will be a month since Erika and I left Lowestoft. So far the safest spot has felt like Royal Quays on the Tyne, and I can see why Olivia is kept there. I left open the option that I could keep the boat in western Scotland for a second season but with so much rain, unsettled winds and cool temperatures, it's not very tempting so far. I also find that on these modern and efficient (and expensive) pontoons I am rather missing Whitehills. In retrospect it couldn't have been a better place to wait for Alex and David.  As I learned for French O-level, "Tout est pour le mieux dans le meilleur des mondes possibles" - all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

Distance run: 13 nautical miles

No comments:

Bottom Ad [Post Page]

| Designed by Colorlib